Reading Notes : Jhataka in Detail, Part B

Turtle Who Couldn't Stop Talking

- Two geese and the turtle became friends and later, the geese asked the turtle if he wanted to join them on the journey home and the turtle decided to join as he wanted to go. Geese said that they will take the turtle in their mouth and he will need to be quiet up until they reach the destination. They took off and the turtle could not stick to his end of the deal and started talking to people below and the geese ended up dropping the turtle and making him fall to his death.

This jataka stood out to me since it showed that the turtle was given directions to follow by the geese and he could not so he was met with the consequences. This relates to real life stories by indirectly telling you to follow directions because in some situations it can be a life or death situation. I can relate to this because a while back when I was learning to ride my bike, I was getting the hang of it when I wanted to try riding the bike without holding on especially when my dad had told me not to try it. Not listening, I did it anyway and ended up busting open my leg against the railing of the garden and having to go to the hospital to get stitches. Not listening to someone who gave me directions of what not to do led me to facing the consequences that would not have came about if I had listened. Likewise, I was in the same situation as the turtle while my mother and father were the geese. 





This picture depicts the desperate turtle who could not just go along with the geese who had given him one rule which was to not talk.





BIBLIOGRAPHY : The Turtle Who Could Not Stop Talking Jataka

Comments

  1. Heyoooo it's me again! I have resorted to commenting on your reading notes to get my extra comments in. I definitely get the message behind this story, but like wow. They straight up killed their friend for not listening. This sounds like some mafia stuff you see in the movies. Your story about not listening to your dad about riding a bike definitely is a more tame version and that is better than if you died at the end of it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction of an Aspiring PA

Comment Wall

Week 3 Story: Derek or Finn