Week 3 Story: Derek or Finn


          In tonight’s episode of Grey’s Anatomy, Meredith has to choose between Derek and Finn. Two really good candidates for two completely different reasons. She is having a hard time doing so because both men are so great and have different things to offer. The way she met both of them are super unorthodox but a great way to ideally meet your future soulmate(s). Meredith Grey met Derek one night at a bar and ended up kicking him out of her house the morning after due to having a little too much to drink the night before. 
          They found out that Meredith serves as an intern under Derek who is a neurosurgeon at Grey’s hospital which is named after Meredith’s widely known and famous mother who is now sick with Alzheimer’s. Meredith and Derek hit it off right from the start and are the couple that I have been rooting for like how Sita and Rama are meant to be. Although Finn may not be an exact replica or a doppelganger of Ravana, they do share some qualities on the lighter perspective. Finn and Meredith met through unusual circumstances as well but later on down the road. 
           Finn is Meredith’s dog’s vet who seems to be vying for her heart along with Derek. Meredith makes the decision of dating both men like the bachelor franchise to see the whether or not she will miss out on life with the perfect one and pick the wrong guy to spend her life with. Meredith’s dog who is now also Derek’s dog is named Doc and Doc had multiple problems and ended up having cancer so Meredith and Derek both decided that the best option would be to put Doc down so that he will not have to suffer anymore and live with so much pain. They ended up putting him down and Meredith and Finn started to hit it off straight off the bat. 
          She ended up breaking the news to Finn and break up with him and say that she wanted to pursue things with Derek. Meredith and Derek are meant to be as they both work as surgeons and have the same understanding, stressful and rewarding work environment that they are both able to understand each other.




This picture portrays the marriage between Rama and Sita and how their lives will be conjoined and together from now on. This is depicted in my story as the marriage between Derek and Meredith as I hope Derek and Meredith stay together and live happily ever after just as the god and goddess did.


BIBLIOGRAPHY

Ramayana and the Mahabaratha, Indian Epics: Images and PDE Images. http://ouocblog.blogspot.com/2014/04/ramayana-online-public-domain-edition.html


Comments

  1. Hey there Asha! I am a student from Prof. Gibbs Myth and Folklore class. In the midst of doing my assignment this week, your story really caught my eye. I was in Indian Epics previously, and I so really can appreciate the story that you are retelling. Of course I am a HUGE Grey's Anatomy as well, and so your story was right up my alley. I wonder how your story could change if you used different characters from Grey's Anatomy. Using detailed information regarding the reasoning behind the characters you picked can make a difference for readers. What if in your next post you explained a little more background information on the original story or the story of Meredith and Finn. I feel that this may add to the overall impact of your story! The conflict of Derek and Meredith's relationship really does go hand in hand with the story or Rama and Sita, but some readers may be unfamiliar with this fact due to lack of information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Asha!

    I think it's very cool that you chose to do a retelling based off of a famous TV show! I've never actually seen it, but I've heard from many people that it is a great one. I really liked how you compared the love triangle in your story to the epic love story involving Rama/Sita/Ravana. I'm interested to know more about Finn's character and what makes him a "Ravana," since this characterization has evil connotations to me (after reading many Ravana tales in Laura's "Epics of India" course!)
    I think your story would greatly benefit from some added dialogue. I'm interested to hear Meredith's conflicted feelings firsthand, and to hear from the men in question, and how they feel about Meredith.
    Be careful of sentence fragments and run-on sentences. The second sentence is a fragment, and you have one particularly lengthy sentence in the third paragraph. Adding some commas will allow your reader to pause for breath :)

    A few copy editing notes:
    -"The way she met both of them are" - the subject and verb form need to match; this should read either "the ways she... are"
    -"franchise to see the whether" -- I don't believe that "the" should be there

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Asha! I've never seen Grey's Anatomy, but I know a bit. It's definitely a fun way to retell the story. I love how you went into details about how she met them like "Meredith met Derek one night at a bar". It really sets the scene and gives understanding to their connection. However in the beginning, It took me a second to realize what she was choosing between them for, it may help to add that in for clear understanding right away. The beginning of the 2nd paragraph "they found out" Who is they? I liked how you tied Meredith and Derek together, but why did they all of a sudden share a dog? If she was dating Derek first, why did she have to break it off with Finn? What if she just "advised him of her decision to stay with Derek" or something along those lines to make it a little more clear? I definitely agree with Joni about some dialog could help too. Wonderful read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashaaaaaaaa,

    So I am in love with the fact that you chose Grey's Anatomy as your inspiration. I am a series fan and love the story of Derek and Meredith. There is so much history there but they will always be the one for one another. I loved the comparison too Rama and Sita because there is so much drama there, but they are also meant to be together. I am not sure how far you are in Grey's, so I do not want to spoil it for you, but I wonder if you Sita being kidnapped is similar to the episode when Meredith almost drowns. Derek came to save her just like Rama came to save Sita.

    What if their dog did not have to be put down though? Do you think there could have been a chance with Finn? I was personally a huge fan of Finn, so I am slightly offended you are comparing him to Ravana. Finn definitely deserves to be loved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Asha! I really like how you chose to do Grey's Anatomy for your story! You can tell it's something your passionate about and really enjoy. Also who doesn't love a good love triangle. I like how you explained what qualities she liked about both of them. I think if you added an Author's Note to explain where you got the idea from and also how it compares to the original story it'll take your story to the next level!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction of an Aspiring PA

Comment Wall